My Guide Website?
Girona: Small Group Walking Tour195 Reviews
Join an extensive 3 hour tour to discover the monumental city of Girona. Feel transported to the medieval ages while strolling around its Jewish quarter. Explore 2,000 years of history with your knowledgeable local guide.
- Walk along the old walls to see the city from the top
- Visit the Cathedral of Girona which contains the widest Gothic nave of the world
- Visit the famous bridge designed by Gustave Eiffel
- Discover the filming locations from the Game of Thrones series
DescriptionThe ancient walled city of Girona stands on a fortress-like hill, high above the confluence of the Onyar and Ter rivers. As the provincial capital, it has a long and distinguished history. Founded by Iberians, the Romans later named it Gerunda and established it as an important stopping point on the Via Augusta, linking Iberia with Rome. But the most important time for the city was the middle ages, due to its location near the french border the city was under siege several times, so its main buildings are from that time. Girona has the huge 15th century cathedral, boasting the widest unsupported gothic arch in the world which dominates the skyline. Much of the city's attraction lies in exploring the medieval streets, especially around the charming Jewish quarter. In the lower part of the city, you will enjoy spectacular images of steep alleyways and the brightly painted façades of the houses overlooking the Onyar river which provide the most emblematic image of the city. Among the bridges that span the river are the lightweight Gómez bridge and the Ferreries Velles bridge which was designed by Gustave Eiffel in 1877. Also, if you are interested in The Game of Thrones series, the guide will show the locations where the 6th season was filmed. This extensive visit will show you the most important monuments of Girona, its history, its Jewish heritage and also its legends. Join local guides who know all the secrets of the city.
- Girona has a lot of steps and slops so it is recommended that you wear comfortable shoes
- The guide will explain to you the history of all the monuments of the city from the outside and when the tour finishes if you are interested in a guided visit inside the Cathedral, the Arab Baths or the Museum of Jewish History, the guide can help you with this